Some practical examples:
- An SME wants more of its employees to drive electrically, but the connection to the business is too small to charge the cars. The solution: storing (PV) energy in the ATEPS system which can then charge the cars through the built-in converter, with more power than is available on the mains connection.
- The network operator is experiencing problems due to congestion and asks companies to switch off their PV systems. That means a longer payback period for the PV plant and a smaller share of green energy that is used. The solution: storage of the PV Energy in the ATEPS system so that it can still be supplied or consumed in the evening, when the other PV systems no longer deliver.
- A manufacturer wants to purchase a new production machine but has heard that the start-up capacity required for this cannot be guaranteed by the network operator. The solution: The ATEPS system measures the power peak during the start-up of the machine and adds additional energy “behind the meter”. This also avoids the costs for peak consumption and those for increasing the grid connection.
PV Energy, Peak Shaving, Network Control, Contracted Power and Congestion.
The above are heard more and more when talking about the energy transition. With more solar panels and solar meadows, there is pressure on the cables in the Netherlands. So busy that sometimes there is no more room to transport even more energy. On the other hand, the electrification of transport is also a challenge for the same network.
For these types of applications, ATEPS has developed a compact energy storage system in which energy can be stored to be consumed at a later time or, if there is space on the network again, to return this energy.
The ATEPS system has a modular structure of 19 “cabinets and starts with 32.5kWh storage capacity and 30kW of power. It can easily be expanded in steps of 30kW to 120kW and practically infinite storage capacity. For larger capacities, ATEPS has a series of systems that are completely assembled and placed in a container.
For more information: ATEPS Nederland BV, +31 (0) 492 792 707 or email@example.com
Peak Shaving with ATEPS Battery Storage
Peak shaving is somewhat similar to load leveling but focuses on reducing peak demand to reduced connection cost or allow for faster implementation of machines or EV’s.
Sizing of such installation starts with the requiered converter power while battery capacity a function of the duration of the peak and the duty cycle. The ATEPS systems provide fast response, making it the optimal solution for peak shaving.
- Customers save on their electricity bills by reducing peak demand charges
- Investment in the infrastructure is delayed due to the more constant loads with smaller peaks
ATEPS offers field-proven solutions for power requirements ranging from 30kW to megawatts. By choosing ATEPS as your system provider, you selelct a knowledgable partner for the overall system. Our team acts as a single point of contact, reducing project risk and complexity.
Peak Shaving with ATEPS Battery Storage & Solar Power
Installing both solar PV capacity and battery storage ensures that you enjoy the highest savings possible:
- During the day, you charge your batteries with solar energy from your PV panels. If necessary, any excess charging can happen from the grid as well.
- When you need to power your business, you can use whatever electricity source is cheapest at that precise moment in time, whether it’s from your PV panels during the day or from the stored solar power (in your batteries) at night or during “peak” hours.
Note that the only time you need to draw electricity directly from the grid is when your panels aren’t working (at night) and your batteries are completely empty.
This configuration works fully automatic and thee is no need for user intervention. The ATEPS Energy Management System measures the PV-energy and is configured to use this, cheaper, energy source to charge the batteries if available.